Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Beef. It's Not For Dinner.

Taco Bell has always been the college student’s best friend.  They are open late, fast, and best of all, they offer great tasting Mexican food for cheap!  Perhaps, like me, while you’re gauging down that tasty mexi-melt you have also wondered how Taco Bell can afford to sell all this tasty food for so cheap.  Or maybe you’re the person who would rather not think about it or know where this “meat” came from in the first place.
According to a recent article on msn.com, an Alabama law firm, Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles took also wondered how this was possible.  The firm took it upon themselves to have Taco Bell’s beef tested to see just if this meat was as real as the Taco Bell advertisers had claimed it to be.
Taco Bell’s advertisements claim that their meat is 88% USDA inspected beef with the remaining percent containing oats, water and spices to help hold a moist consistency and flavor enhancer.  However, the findings of the Alabama law firm revealed a much different statistic.  The Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles law firm found after testing the beef product that it only contained 35% beef.  That is quite a difference.  The firm gave no details on who performed the test or any other information but it was enough evidence to sue Taco Bell for false advertising.
Whether the accusation is true or not, this could mean big trouble for Taco Bell’s brand and they immediately fought back.  Along with Taco Bell executives making public statements of false claims, they launched a new series of high dollar advertisements to fight back and reclaim their identity.
Taco Bell claims they are not really worried about their business being affected.  After all, they serve 35 million customers a week.  Is this recent discovery really that shocking? Or are you one of those “Don’t ask, don’t tell” me what I’m eating? It is cheap and tasty and that is all some people need to know.  I asked a few Avila students what their thoughts were and if this recent knowledge would deter them from future dining experiences.  Avila student Josh Parisse said quote:
“Since hearing about the Taco Bell fiasco I find my gag reflex kicking in each and every time I pass by a local Taco Bell chain.  I can’t imagine eating there anytime soon.”
Avila student Bailey Carr feels similar.  She has always tried to maintain a healthy diet but also was a Taco Bell fan.  Carr said quote:
“I used to eat at Taco Bell a lot but now I don’t eat there at all. I stopped going there for a while because I was trying to be healthy, but after the recent news this sealed the deal for me, I’m not going back.”
Alli Stamer, another Avila student did not seem too surprised with the Taco Bell findings although she is still on the fence with whether or not she will dine at T Bell again. Stamer said quote:
“It will make me think twice before I eat there again.”
Will other college students follow their lead?  If so, Taco Bell will need to do some serious brand building to keep their business alive.  Only time will tell for Taco Bell.


No comments:

Post a Comment